Ayurvedacharya, FAIP (USA), PhD, MoM (McGill, Canada). Has dedicated himself to propagation of traditional Ayurveda knowledge and local health traditions. Engages in influencing public and state opinion on issues concerning Indian traditional knowledge in general and Ayurveda fraternity in particular. Has supervised production and Publication of 10 Monographs on Local Health Traditions and Ayurveda which made significant contributions to the revival of Indian System of Medicine and Local Health Traditions in India.
• To assume leadership to ensure the application of Ayurveda and traditional systems of healthcare to meet contemporary healthcare needs.
• To conceive and lead basic and applied research in the field of Traditional Medicine that broadens the frontiers of healthcare research and drug development.
• To continuously pursue excellence in Ayurveda in order to be a catalyst in the renaissance of Ayurveda.
• To participate in research and development that attempts to uncover the inherent power of the holistic principles of Ayurveda in understanding the cause and remedy for human suffering.
• Master of Management degree pursuant to the International Masters in Health Leadership (IMHL), a post-doctoral international management program for outstanding senior health leaders, from McGill University, Canada, 2014
• PhD on developing a standardized clinical protocol from Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth, Pune, 2013
• Fellow of Ashoka Innovators for the Public, Ashoka Trust, USA, 2000
• Completed a unique 7½ years Ayurveda Medical Degree ‘Ayurvedacharya’ from Madras University in 1985
• Director, MSR Indic Centre for Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine since Oct 2014
• Additional Director, Institute of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine (I-AIM), BANGALORE and Medical Director of its healthcare wing, the I-AIM Healthcare Centre, a 100-bed healthcare facility since 2003. As Additional Director and a part of the top leadership of I-AIM, was involved in steering the organization guiding the major research activities and programs of the organization. As medical director, manages and supervises the 100-bed integrative healthcare center and guides the major research programs of the institute.
• Started career with Arya Vaidya Pharmacy, Coimbatore. Involved in development of new dosage forms and traditional Ayurvedic formulations – classical as well as proprietary. As a technical director at Arya Vaidya Pharmacy, continued to practice Ayurveda and actively lead many initiatives to promote Ayurveda and use of medicinal plants.
• President, Centre for Innovation in Science & Social Action (CISSA), Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
CISSA is a non-profit, non-governmental organization of scientists and citizens combining rigorous scientific analysis, innovative policy development and effective citizen advocacy to build a cleaner, safer and healthier world. (www.cissa.co.in). As the head of CISSA, was centrally involved in the conception and execution of a landmark event on national biodiversity called the Indian Biodiversity Congress, 2010 and 2012. Also, was instrumental in CISSA organizing two major events called ‘Annam’ (2008 and 2010) on food security focusing on India’s wholesome food traditions.
4. Determinants of prakriti, the human constitution types of Indian traditional medicine and its correlation with contemporary science.
1. Senior advisor on numerous technical committees in the government and private sector involved in the promotion of Ayurveda and medicinal plants.
2. Fellow of Ashoka Innovators for the Public awarded by the Ashoka Foundation, USA through a rigorous national selection process.
3. Delivered invited lectures on Ayurveda across many countries including Germany, UK, USA and China – mainly on topics related to treatment of lifestyle diseases, Panchakarma detox treatments and promoting use of herbs in primary health care.
4. Conducted a 3-day Panchakarma workshop at Columbia University, New York in 1996.
1. Principal Investigator for Genomic Analysis and Gene Expression Variation in Human Doshaprakriti Based on Ayurveda, a Multi-centric study supported by the office of the Principal Scientific Advisor to the Prime Minister of India involving the premier research organizations in the country.
2. Principal Investigator in Development of Standardized Clinical Management Protocol as a part of the Doctoral study that involved design and development of management protocol and clinical documentation of Ayurveda management in approx. 150 study volunteers.
3. Investigator for a Controlled clinical trial, in collaboration with St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore, on Diabetes Mellitus using an intercultural approach involving traditional Ayurvedic diagnosis that was sponsored by New York Botanical Garden, USA.
BOOKS AUTHORED/ EDITED
1. Chikitsakautukam in Malayalam published by Loka Swasthya Parampara Samvardhan Samiti (LSPSS), Coimbatore, India, 1993
2. Kśemakutūhalam, published by FRLHT, Bangalore, 2009
3. Glimpses of Wisdom, A collection of essays on Ayurveda Vaidyabhushanam K. RaghavanThirumulapadu, published by FRLHT, 2010
4. Theoretical Foundations of Ayurveda, published by FRLHT, Bangalore, 2011
5. Bhojanakutūhalam, published by FRLHT, Bangalore, 2012
6. Saving India’s Manuscripts, published by National Mission for Manuscripts, Delhi, 2012
1. Gangadharan GG, Editors’ Thought Leadership Article: Quality of ingredients used in Ayurveda herbal preparations published in Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine (www.jaim.in), Year 2010, Volume 1, Issue 1 [p. 16-17]
This paper provides a detailed first-hand account of quality and standardization issues faced in mass manufacturing of herbal products and provides perspectives to improve the quality standards of herbal products.
2. Gangadharan GG, ‘Potential of Traditional Knowledge in the Development of Healthcare Products’ (Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge – Vol. 4(2) April, 2005, pp 139-142.
This paper talks about the opportunities and strategies for developing novel herbal products from the concepts and principles told in classical Ayurveda
3. Gangadharan GG, Plant research in a new perspective, Anc. Sci. Life. 1996 Apr; 15(4):254-5.
This paper argues for developing an independent methodology to enrich the indigenous health cultures and address local healthcare needs and account for the cultural and epistemic frameworks of their origin.
4. Gangadharan GG, A Report: (Local Health Culture and Traditions in the Context of Primary Health Care). Anc. Sci. Life. 1986 Jan; 5(3):209-11.
This seminal publication reports on a meeting of 30 rural organizations that resolved to form a network to strengthen and revitalize local health cultures and inspired the development of I-AIM
5. Gangadharan GG, Manohar RR, Concept of immunology in Ayurveda. Anc. Sci. Life. 1994 Jul; 14(1-2):2-9.
This paper discusses the concept of immunology explained in Ayurveda.
6. Gangadharan GG, ‘Pepper the Black Gold of India’ Journal of International Pepper Export Association, 2003.
This paper talks of the traditional understanding of the medicinal properties of Black pepper, an important medicinal plant used in Ayurveda.
7. Gangadharan GG, Life Profile: Padmashri P. K. Warrier, AryaVaidyaSala, Kottakkal, Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine, Year 2010, Volume 1, Issue 1 [p. 66-67]
This paper attempts to put on record the contribution of one of the greatest living practitioners of Ayurveda.
8. Gangadharan GG, ‘ChikitsaKoutukam’ by Vaidya VM Kuttikrishna Menon published by LSPSS, Coimbatore, 1993
This book details 5000 simple traditional formulas for managing a host of medical conditions using herbs told in Ayurveda and other Indian healing traditions.
9. Gangadharan GG, ‘Kśhemakutūhalam’ published by I-AIM, Bangalore, 2010
Chief editor of this English translation of a 16h Century scholastic Sanskrit work on traditional dietetics by a royal physician of great repute who discusses traditional Indian cuisine and its benefits
10. Gangadharan GG, ‘Bhojanakutūhalam’ published by I-AIM, Bangalore, 2010
Editor of this English translation of an encyclopedic 17th century Sanskrit works on traditional Indian food science and technology that discusses unhealthy food and corrective measures for physical and mental fitness.
11. Gangadharan GG, ‘Saving India’s Medical Manuscripts’ published by Dev Publishers, 2012
This very unique publication gives a comprehensive introduction to the wealth of knowledge and medical heritage available in the form of manuscripts in public and private domains and discusses action strategies for its conservation.
12. Article on Local Health Traditions and their evaluation by Indian Systems of Medicine, part of a book ‘Glimpses of Ethno-Pharmacology’ published by College of Pharmacy at Copenhagen, Denmark and Tropical Botanical Garden and Research Institute, Kerala, India.
13. Presented paper on ‘Scope and Potential of Cardiac Management in Ayurveda’ at the International Conference on Cardiovascular Research Convergence conducted by AIIMS, New Delhi, India, 17-18 Feb. 2012.
KEY LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Vice President, AryaVaidya Pharmacy (Coimbatore) Ltd., Coimbatore-45 (1995 – 2003)
2. Founder & Vice President, Centre for Indian Medical Heritage, Coimbatore – 641 045, a center promoting Conservation of Medicinal Plants and with a Nursery of 100 plants specializing in propagation of Medicinal Plants and Training Centre in Local Health Traditions (1993-2003)
3. General Manager, Arya Vaidya Pharmacy (Coimbatore) Ltd., Coimbatore-45 (1992- 1995)
4. Director, Heal Ayurveda Pharmacy Limited, (A sister concern of The Arya Vaidya Pharmacy, specializing in manufacturing and marketing of patented and OTC Herbal Products (1998-2003)
5. Chief Medical Officer, United States Aid for International Development (USAID) sponsored project on Traditional Medicine and Primary Healthcare, at AVR Foundation, Coimbatore (1988 to 93)
6. Executive Director, S.P.S.S. (A network of Individuals and Organizations for promotion of Local Health Traditions), P.B. No. 7102, Ayurvedic Trust Complex, Ramanathapuram, Coimbatore – 641 045. (1986-2003)
7. Chairman of AVR Educational Foundation of Ayurveda-A leading Ayurveda Institution in South. Conducting BAMS Degree Course in Ayurveda recognized by CCIM. (1995-2003)
8. National Convener, World Ayurveda Congress-2002. The biggest ever Ayurveda Congress organized in Cochin, Kerala with participation of delegates from 32 countries
9. Joint Convener, National Steering Committee of ‘PRITHVI-2005 ‘- an International Seminar on Eco-Friendly initiatives held at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
10. National Convener, World Ayurveda Congress 2010, Bangalore
11. Member, Governing Council of Gene Campaign, New Delhi, A National Organization working on IPR of Indigenous people headed by Dr. Suman Sahai
12. PI for the ambitious Vaidya Scientist Fellowship Program conducted by I-AIM, Bangalore – a 2-year program for Ayurveda academicians that aims to make them ambassadors of Ayurveda.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL BODIES
1. Member– Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani Drugs Technical Advisory Board (ASUDTAB), Dept. of ISM & H. Govt. of India (2000-2003).
2. Trustee of Patriotic and People Oriented Science and Technology Foundation, Madras, an organization of Modern Scientists, keen in revitalizing India’s Scientific Tradition (1995-2000).
3. Joint Secretary, Ayurvedic Drug Manufacture Assn., Mumbai (1998 – 2003).
4. Executive Member, Ayurvedic Medicine Mfrs. Org. of India, Kerala (1998 – 2003).
5. Member, Technical Advisory Body of All India Co-ordinated Program on Medicinal Plants, Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India (1990 – 1993).
6. Member, Research Advisory Committee of Herbal Research & Development Institute (HRDI), Govt. of Uttaranchal, Gopeshwar.
7. Member, State Medicinal Plant Board, Kerala.
8. Member, Steering Committee, State Medicinal Plants Board, Tamil Nadu
9. Member, Sub-committee on Medicinal Plants, State Biodiversity Board, Karnataka
10. Convener, Scientific Advisory Committee of International Institute of Ayurveda (Chemistry Division) – approved as Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) by Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India. It is a Research Centre, doing work on Standardization of Ayurvedic Formulations (2000 onwards).
11. Member of Board of Management of CHETNA, A unit of Nehru Foundation for Development, Ahmedabad, an Organization working towards strengthening under privileged Women & Children, especially in the areas of Nutrition and Development (2000 onwards).
12. National committee member to review the TKDL Project of AYUSH Department.
13. Member of task force to monitor the development of AYUSH portal, AYUSH Department, Govt. of India.
14. Member of the National Task force for National campaign on Geriatric Care of CCRAS, AYUSH Department, Govt. of India.
15. Member of Scientific Advisory Committee (Ayurveda), CCRAS, Department of AYUSH, Govt. of India.
16. Expert committee member on excipients on AYUSH Medicines, AYUSH Department, Govt. of India.
17. Member of Task Force on Medical Manuscripts, Department of AYUSH, Govt. of India.
18. Working committee Member of Amity Institute for Herbal Biotech Products Development (AIHBPD), for streamlining India’s Traditional Knowledge towards formulating a Sui Genesis Regime, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala under Amity University, New Delhi.
19. Temporary Advisor to the Regional Director, WHO-2009
1. Executive editor of Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine (jaim.in)
2. Editor of the Journal ‘Ancient Science of Life’ on Indian Knowledge System (1990-2004).
3. Chief Editor of Arogyakalpam, a quarterly in English of All India Ayurvedic Congress of Tamil Nadu Chapter (1998 – 2003).
4. Editorial Board Member, Heritage Amruth, FRLHT, Bangalore
5. Member of Editorial Board, Evidence based Complementary and Alternative Medicine (eCAM) 2004-2007.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
1. Fellow of Ashoka Innovators for the Public of Ashoka Foundation (FAIP), A US based International Organization working towards social change, 2000.
2. Award for the best International Awareness Building on Ayurveda from Arya Vaidya Pharmacy, Coimbatore in 2008.
3. Award for proficiency in clinical application of Ayurveda Shastra from Vaidyaraj Datar Panchaboutik Chikitsa and Samshodhan Kendra, Sangli, Maharashtra.
4. Shri Mathuradas Parikh Award for Excellence in Ayurvedic Profession awarded by Indian Association for the Study of Traditional Asian Medicine (http://iastam.org/), Pune in 2015
• For CAPART-Council for Advancement of Peoples Action and Rural Technology, Govt. of India, Department of Science and Technology (Govt. of India) – Consultant (Proposal and Activity evaluation) on Medicinal Plant related Projects.
• For Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India on Medicinal Plant related Projects
• For Kerala State Council for Science and Technology and Environmental Sciences
• Visited China on invitation from Ministry of Public Health-People’s, Republic of China to present a paper in III-International Conference on Ethno Pharmacology; spent 21 days observing Traditional places of Excellence in Health Care in Beijing.
• Visited HONGKONG-for 3 days visit to Universities working on Traditional Medicine.
• Visited U.S.A. on invitation to give Lecture on Ayurveda at Columbia University, New York, Virginia University, Virginia and Maryland University, Baltimore.
• Visited Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France and U.K.
• Presented paper at International Conference at ANN’s College at Oxford University on Traditional Medicine organized by Global Initiative for Traditional Systems of Health (GIFT to Health).
• Visited Germany for Expo-2000, Exhibition at Hanover, representing Indian Government Pavilion, organized by Dept. of ISM & H, Government of India and conducted pulse diagnosis (Nadipariksha) as per Ayurvedic traditions.
• Visited Rome-Italy, to deliver Lecture on Traditional Medicine with special reference to Ayurveda and its Global applications, organized by COE (Centro Orientamento Educativo), Italy.
• Attended an European Ayurveda Congress at Castrop-Rauxel, Germany and delivered a lecture on Globalization of Ayurveda
• Attended as a resource person for a conference on ‘A Perspective & Approach of Ayurveda’ organized by Kerala Ayurveda GmbH.
• Visited Nairobi, Kenya in December to attend ‘Methodology Workshop on Medicinal Plants and Traditional Medicine’ organized by IDRC (International Development Research Center).
• Visited Rosenberg GmbH, Birstein, Germany to attend 11thAyurveda Symposium and presented a paper on ‘Panchakarma as prevention against heart diseases and hypertension.’
• Visited Myanmar during the month of March 2009 to attend a Regional meeting on the use of Herbal Medicines in Primary Health Care, as a Temporary Adviser to the Regional Director, WHO.
• Visited Italy, Germany and Austria to attend the 1st International congress on Ayurveda during the month of March.
• Visited Germany to attend 11th International Ayurveda Symposium during the month of September.
• Visited China to attend a Joint Conference on TCM-Ayurveda organized by Hindustan Unilever Ltd. during the month of May 2010.
• Visited Rosenberg GmbH, Birstein, Germany to attend 12thAyurveda Symposium and presented a paper on Psychiatry/Psychology in Ayurveda.
• Visited Italy for attending Terra Madre 2010 in Turin, set up by the Italian Ministry of Agriculture and ‘Slow Food International’
• Visited Kathmandu and presented a paper on Medicinal Plants Quality Standards (physical and chemical): Developing Tools to Strengthen Market linkages between suppliers and buyers sponsored by ICIMOD
• Visited France for exploring collaboration possibilities with L’Oreal
• Visited Germany for the 14th International Ayurveda Symposium in Birstein conducted by the European Academy of Ayurveda in 2012.
• Visited McGill University, Montreal, Canada for pursuing International Masters in Health Leadership – five visits of two weeks each during 2012-13.